Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Batter up!

Tonight was a huge night for AC.  She played in her very first softball game...and she rocked it!

So happy to see her having fun again!

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Uh oh....not again....

AC has been down with a headache for 4 days.   I am praying that this is allergy related.  Her first bad headache was on Wednesday...the day we had a pollen count of 5733!  She has had a constant severe headache since Wednesday morning and nothing seems to be relieving her pain. 

We made the trip to the pediatrician on Friday.  He ruled out strep and any other infection.  He prescribed AC a nose spray and we are hoping that this helps clear her up and ease her pain.   We are waiting to hear from Dr. B.'s office to see if they want to check her out.

I don't think this is anything TOO serious, but it sure is affecting her! I just want her to have some relief!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

5 Months Post Op....

We are coming up on the 5 month anniversary of AC's surgery.  I am happy to report that she has recovered 100% from her surgery.  While she will never be "healed", the Chiari will always be there, she is no longer symptomatic and has no current side effects.  Whoo Hoo!

AC is a little obsessed with her scar.    She has taken to wearing pigtails quite often...I think in part to show off her scar.  AC wants everyone to see it!  If you haven't seen it, please ask her!

AC isn't playing soccer this year.  We are using the extra time to study and trying to get her caught up.  Her school was great about working with her but she did miss a total of 9 1/2 weeks of the first semester so there are definite chunks of instruction that she missed.  The CRCT is coming up in April....we are working hard to make sure she is ready!

We go back to see Dr. Boydston for a re-check in July.  I must remember to get a picture of he and AC together!!!

Monday, November 30, 2009

Gotta go back, back, back to school again....

AC just skipped out the door to leave to go to school.  She seemed very excited and ready to tackle a new school week.  She's missed 8 1/2 weeks so far...we are working to get her caught up so that when she goes back after Christmas she'll be on track with the rest of her class.  

Thanks to Jen, Jamie, and Maggie for taking AC to school this morning!   

  

Monday, November 23, 2009

MRI results and our next big decision.

We got the phone call on Friday that the MRI was normal.  She is having muscle spasms as the muscles heal from being cut during surgery.  I can't imagine that happening on the back of  my head...

Our next decision is what to do about school.  AC is still very sensitive to light, sound, and motion.  School is bright and loud so that is a problem for her.  I don't think she could get away with wearing earplugs and sunglasses all day. 

I've  been researching the Georgia Virtual Academy.  It is an online public school in the state of Georgia.  I talked to an admissions counselor this morning and we have to make a decision this week.  Open enrollment starts next week, so we gotta get on the ball.  I like the idea of her being able to catch up at her own speed and once she masters a skill she moves onto something else.  It'd be a big committment but we've got to do something to get her back in the school groove.  She misses Cleveland Road Elem. and really wants to go back, but right now she just can't.

2009 has been an eventful year for our family and we can certainly testify to the power of prayer.   We will reflect this week on all of the miracles we've been blessed with this year.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Friday, November 20, 2009

Freak-Out

AC had a world class "freak-out" at the hospital today.  She decided in the parking garage when we got there that she didn't want to have a MRI today.  I had to pry her out of the car.  It took 3 tear-filled attempts and lots of begging for her to finally submit to doing the MRI.    She got one last shot at cooperating and she finally decided to comply...2 hours later.  The staff at CHOA is amazing and they never showed any impatience...even though I know we completely messed up their schedule for today.  My daughter can be very stubborn and she is also freakishly strong.

We are still waiting for the results.  We paged the doctor after the scan was over and they said he was tied up with some issues at the office...for us to head home and he'd give us a call.  Hopefully that call will come early tomorrow morning.

I hate waiting.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Time set for MRI

We have to arrive at Scottish Rite at 2:00 on Thursday the 19th.  She is scheduled for the scanner at 3:00.  We'll know what is going on before we leave for home that day.